Evaluation of vitamin B12 monitoring in patients on metformin in urban ambulatory care settings
Background: Previous studies linked metformin use to vitamin B12 deficiency and demonstrated that the prevalence of vitamin B12 monitoring remains low.
Objective: This study aimed to assess the occurrence of monitoring vitamin B12 levels in a diverse population.
Methods: This was a retrospective chart review of adult patients with type 2 diabetes on metformin doses ≥ 1000 mg for ≥ 6 months at five Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) and one Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE). Charts were reviewed for occurrence of monitoring vitamin B12 levels in the past 5 years. Data collected included patient demographics, laboratory data, other potential vitamin B12 level lowering agents, active prescription for vitamin B12 supplementation, concomitant diabetes medications and metformin total daily dose.
Results: Of the 322 patients included, 25% had a vitamin B12 level measured in the previous five years. Among the patients with a vitamin B12 level, 87.7% were within the normal range (>350 pg/mL), 11.1% were low (200-300 pg/mL), and only one patient (1.2%) was deficient (<200 pg/mL). These patients were older (69.2 vs. 56.4, p<0.001); more likely to be white (56.8% vs. 37.8%, p=0.04); and more likely to use proton pump inhibitors (34.6% vs. 20.7%, p=0.02) and vitamin B12 supplementation (27.2% vs. 4.6%, p<0.001). Vitamin B12 monitoring differed between the FQHC (15.2%) and PACE (97.4%) sites (p<0.001). Each greater year of age was associated with a 5% increased odds of vitamin B12 monitoring (aOR: 1.05; 95%CI: 1.02-1.08).
Conclusions: The majority of patients seen at the FQHC sites did not have vitamin B12 levels monitored, however, most of the patients who were monitored had normal vitamin B12 levels, which may warrant extending the monitoring time. This finding may also support monitoring patients who have additional risk factors for vitamin B12 deficiency such as concurrent medication use with other vitamin B12 lowering agents or clinical symptoms of deficiency such as peripheral neuropathy. Future studies are needed to determine appropriate frequency of monitoring.
American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2019. Diabetes Care 2019;42:S90-S102.
Aroda VR, Edelstein SL, Goldberg RB, Knowler WC, Marcovina SM, Orchard TJ, Bray GA, Schade DS, Temprosa MG, White NH, Crandall JP. Long-term metformin use and vitamin B12 deficiency in the diabetes prevention program outcomes study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016;101(4):1754-1761. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2015-3754
Out M, Kooy A, Lehert P, Schalkwijk CA, Stehouwer CDA. Long-term treatment with metformin in type 2 diabetes and methylmalonic acid: post hoc analysis of a randomized controlled 4.3 year trial. J Diabetes Complications. 2018;32(2):171-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2017.11.001
Singh AK, Kumar A, Karmakar D, Jha RK. Association of B12 deficiency and clinical neuropathy with metformin use in type 2 diabetes patients. J Postgrad Med. 2013;59(4):253-257. https://doi.org/10.4103/0022-3859.123143
Garber AJ, Abrahamson MJ, Barzilay JI, Blonde L, Bloomgarden ZT, Bush MA, Dagogo-Jack S, DeFronzo RA, Einhorn D, Fonseca VA, Garber JR, Garvey WT, Grunberger Handelsman GY, Hirsch IB, Jellinger PS, McGill JB, Mechanick JI, Rosenblit PD, Umpierrez GE. Consensus statement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology on the comprehensive type 2 diabetes management algorithm – 2019 executive summary. Endocr Pract. 2019;25(1):69-100. https://doi.org/10.4158/CS-2018-0535
Glucophage [package insert]. Princeton, NJ: Bristol-Myers Squibb Company; 2018.
De Jager J, Kooy A, Lehert P, Wulffelé MG, van der Kolk J, Bets D, Verburg J, Donker AJM, Stehouwer CDA. Long term treatment with metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes and risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency: Randomised placebo controlled trial. BMJ. 2010;340:c2181. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c2181
Ahmed MA, Muntingh G, Rheeder P. Vitamin B12 deficiency in metformin-treated type-2 diabetes patients, prevalence and association with peripheral neuropathy. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2016;17(1):44. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40360-016-0088-3
Kancherla V, Elliott JL, Patel BB, Holland NW, Johnson TM, Khakharia A, Phillips LS, Oakley GP, Vaughan CP. Long-term metformin therapy and monitoring for vitamin B12 deficiency among older veterans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65(5):1061-1066. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14761
Pierce SA, Chung AH, Black KK. Evaluation of vitamin B12 monitoring in a veteran population on long-term, high-dose metformin therapy. Ann Pharmacother. 2012;46(11):1470-1476. https://doi.org/10.1345/aph.1R223
Ting RZ, Szeto CC, Chan MH, Ma KK, Chow KM. Risk factors of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients receiving metformin. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(18):1975-1979. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.166.18.1975
Matthews DE, Beatty SJ, Grever GM, Lehman A, Barnes KD. Comparison of 2 population health management approaches to increase vitamin B12 monitoring in patients taking metformin. Ann Pharmacother. 2016;50(10):840-846. https://doi.org/10.1177/1060028016655180
The authors hereby transfer, assign or otherwise convey to Pharmacy Practice (1) the right to grant permission to republish or reprint the stated material, in whole or in part, without a fee; (2) the right to print or epublish copies for free distribution or sale; and (3) the right to republish the stated material in any format (electronic or printed). In addition, the undersigned affirms that the article described above has not previously been published, in whole or part, is not subject to copyright or other rights except by the author(s), and has not been submitted for publication elsewhere, except as communicated in writing to Pharmacy Practice with this document.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY-NC-ND) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Author Self-Archiving Policy
Pharmacy Practice permits and encourages authors to post and archive the final PDFs of their respective articles submitted to the journal on personal websites or institutional repositories after publication, while providing bibliographic details that credit its publication in this journal.