Main Article Content
Asthma, Costs and Cost Analysis, Quality Assurance, Health Care, Health Services Research
Objectives: To evaluate and compare full economic evaluation studies on the cost-effectiveness of enhanced asthma management (either as an adjunct to usual care or alone) vs. usual care alone.
Methods: Online databases were searched for published journal articles in English language from year 1990 to 2012, using the search terms ‘“asthma” AND (“intervene” OR “manage”) AND (“pharmacoeconomics” OR “economic evaluation” OR “cost effectiveness” OR “cost benefit” OR “cost utility”)’. Hand search was done for local publishing. Only studies with full economic evaluation on enhanced management were included (cost consequences (CC), cost effectiveness (CE), cost benefit (CB), or cost utility (CU) analysis). Data were extracted and assessed for the quality of its economic evaluation design and evidence sources.
Results: A total of 49 studies were included. There were 3 types of intervention for enhanced asthma management: education, environmental control, and self-management. The most cost-effective enhanced management was a mixture of education and self-management by an integrated team of healthcare and allied healthcare professionals. In general, the studies had a fair quality of economic evaluation with a mean QHES score of 73.7 (SD=9.7), and had good quality of evidence sources.
Conclusion: Despite the overall fair quality of economic evaluations but good quality of evidence sources for all data components, this review showed that the delivered enhanced asthma managements, whether as single or mixed modes, were overall effective and cost-reducing. Whilst the availability and accessibility are an equally important factor to consider, the sustainability of the cost-effective management has to be further investigated using a longer time horizon especially for chronic diseases such as asthma.
2. World Health Organization. Asthma. 2011. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs307/en/index.html (accesed 13-04-2014).
3. Barnett SB, Nurmagambetov TA. Costs of asthma in the United States: 2002-2007. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;127(1):145-152. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2010.10.020
4. Masoli M, Fabian D, Holt S, Beasley R; Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) Program. The global burden of asthma: executive summary of the GINA Dissemination Committee report. Allergy. 2004;59(5):469-478.
5. Myers TR. Guidelines for asthma management: A review and comparison of 5 current guidelines. Respir Care. 2008;53(6):751-767.
6. Basheti IA, Armour CL, Bosnic-Anticevich SZ, Reddel HK. Evaluation of a novel educational strategy, including inhaler-based reminder labels, to improve asthma inhaler technique. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;72(1):26-33. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2008.01.014
7. Sullivan SD, Weiss KB, Lynn H, Mitchell H, Kattan M, Gergen PJ, Evans R; National Cooperative Inner-City Asthma Study (NCICAS) Investigators. The cost-effectiveness of an inner-city asthma intervention for children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;110(4):576-581.
8. van der Meer V1, van den Hout WB, Bakker MJ, Rabe KF, Sterk PJ, Assendelft WJ, Kievit J, Sont JK; SMASHING (Self-Management in Asthma Supported by Hospitals, ICT, Nurses and General Practitioners) Study Group. Cost-effectiveness of internet-based self-management compared with usual care in Asthma. PLoS One. 2011;6(11):e27108. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0027108
9. British Thoracic Society and Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. British guideline on the management of asthma. Available from: https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/document-library/clinical-information/asthma/btssign-guideline-on-the-management-of-asthma/ (accesed 27-05-2014).
10. Mehuys E, Van Bortel L, De Bolle L, Van Tongelen I, Annemans L, Remon JP, Brusselle G. Effectiveness of pharmacist intervention for asthma control improvement. Eur Respir J. 2008;31(4):790-799.
11. Cordina M, McElnay JC, Hughes CM. Assessment of a community pharmacy-based program for patients with asthma. Pharmacotherapy. 2001;21(10):1196-203.
12. Närhi U, Airaksinen M, Tanskanen P, Enlund H. The effects of a pharmacy-based intervention on the knowledge and attitudes of asthma patients. Patient Educ Couns. 2001;43(2):171-177.
13. Lahdensuo A, Haahtela T, Herrala J, Kava T, Kiviranta K, Kuusisto P, Perämäki E, Poussa T, Saarelainen S, Svahn T. Randomised comparison of guided self management and traditional treatment of asthma over one year. BMJ. 1996;312(7033):748-752.
14. Campbell JD, Spackman DE, Sullivan SD. Health economics of asthma: assessing the value of asthma interventions. Allergy. 2008 ec;63(12):1581-1592. doi: 10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01888.x
15. Bousquet J, Clark TJ, Hurd S, Khaltaev N, Lenfant C, O'Byrne P, Sheffer A. GINA guidelines on asthma and beyond. Allergy. 2007;62(2):102-112.
16. Drummond M, Sculpher MJ, Torrance GW, O'Brien BJ, Stoddart GL. Basic Types of Economic Evaluation. Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Health Care Programmes. 3rd ed. New York: OUP; 2005.
17. Gray AM, Clarke PM, Wolstenholme JL, Wordsworth S. Applied Methods of Cost-effectiveness Analysis in Healthcare: Oxford: OUP; 2010.
18. World Development Indicators. PPP conversion factor (GDP) to market exchange rate ratio. The World Bank Group; 2014. Available from: http://data.worldbank.org (accesed 21-03-2014).
19. World Development Indicators. Inflation, GDP deflator (annual %). The World Bank Group; 2014. Available from: http://data.worldbank.org (accesed 21-03-2014).
20. Chiou CF, Hay JW, Wallace JF, Bloom BS, Neumann PJ, Sullivan SD, Yu HT, Keeler EB, Henning JM, Ofman JJ. Development and validation of a grading system for the quality of cost-effectiveness studies. Med Care. 2003;41(1):32-44.
21. Walker DG, Wilson RF, Sharma R, Bridges J, Niessen L, Bass EB, Frick K. Best Practices for Conducting Economic Evaluations in Health Care: A Systematic Review of Quality Assessment Tools. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2012.
22. Langer A. A framework for assessing Health Economic Evaluation (HEE) quality appraisal instruments. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:253. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-12-253
23. Au F, Prahardhi S, Shiell A. Reliability of two instruments for critical assesment of economic evaluations. Value Health. 2008;11(3):435-439. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4733.2007.00255.x
24. Spiegel BM, Targownik LE, Kanwal F, Derosa V, Dulai GS, Gralnek IM, Chiou CF. The quality of published health economic analyses in digestive diseases: a systematic review and quantitative appraisal. Gastroenterology. 2004;127(2):403-411.
25. Peterson LE, Goodman C, Karnes EK, Chen CJ, Schwartz JA. Assessment of the quality of cost analysis literature in physical therapy. Phys Ther. 2009;89(8):733-755. doi: 10.2522/ptj.20080326
26. Davis JC, Robertson MC, Ashe MC, Liu-Ambrose T, Khan KM, Marra CA. Does a home-based strength and balance programme in people aged > or =80 years provide the best value for money to prevent falls? A systematic review of economic evaluations of falls prevention interventions. Br J Sports Med. 2010;44(2):80-89. doi: 10.1136/bjsm.2008.060988
27. Cooper N, Coyle D, Abrams K, Mugford M, Sutton A. Use of evidence in decision models: an appraisal of health technology assessments in the UK since 1997. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2005;10(4):245-250.
28. Tai T, Bame SI. Cost-benefit analysis of childhood asthma management through School-based clinic programs. J Community Health. 2011;36(2):253-260. doi: 10.1007/s10900-010-9305-y
29. Karnick P, Margellos-Anast H, Seals G, Whitman S, Aljadeff G, Johnson D. The pediatric asthma intervention: a comprehensive cost-effective approach to asthma management in a disadvantaged inner-city community. J Asthma. 2007;44(1):39-44.
30. Bolton MB, Tilley BC, Kuder J, Reeves T, Schultz LR. The cost and effectiveness of an education program for adults who have asthma. J Gen Intern Med. 1991;6(5):401-407.
31. Doan T, Grammer LC, Yarnold PR, Greenberger PA, Patterson R. An intervention program to reduce the hospitalization cost of asthmatic patients requiring intubation. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 1996;76(6):513-518.
32. Greineder DK, Loane KC, Parks P. A randomized controlled trial of a pediatric asthma outreach program. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999;103(3 Pt 1):436-440.
33. Levenson T, Grammer LC, Yarnold PR, Patterson R. Cost-effective management of malignant potentially fatal asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc. 1997;18(2):73-78.
34. Rossiter LF, Whitehurst-Cook MY, Small RE, Shasky C, Bovbjerg VE, Penberthy L, Okasha A, Green J, Ibrahim IA, Yang S, Lee K. The impact of disease management on outcomes and cost of care: a study of low-income asthma patients. Inquiry. 2000;37(2):188-202.
35. Taitel MS, Kotses H, Bernstein IL, Bernstein DI, Creer TL. A self-management program for adult asthma. Part II: Cost-benefit analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1995;95(3):672-676.
36. Westley CR, Spiecher B, Starr L, Simons P, Sanders B, Marsh W, Comer C, Harvey R. Cost effectiveness of an allergy consultation in the management of asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc. 1997;18(1):15-18.
37. Anderson ME, Freas MR, Wallace AS, Kempe A, Gelfand EW, Liu AH. Successful school-based intervention for inner-city children with persistent asthma. J Asthma. 2004;41(4):445-453.
38. Bratton DL, Price M, Gavin L, Glenn K, Brenner M, Gelfand EW, Klinnert MD. Impact of a multidisciplinary day program on disease and healthcare costs in children and adolescents with severe asthma: a two-year follow-up study. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2001;31(3):177-189.
39. Bunting BA, Cranor CW. The Asheville Project: long-term clinical, humanistic, and economic outcomes of a community-based medication therapy management program for asthma. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2006;46(2):133-147.
40. de Asis ML, Greene R. A cost-effectiveness analysis of a peak flow-based asthma education and self-management plan in a high-cost population. J Asthma. 2004;41(5):559-565.
41. D'Souza AO, Rahnama R, Regan TS, Common B, Burch S. The h-e-B value-based health management program: impact on asthma medication adherence and healthcare cost. Am Health Drug Benefits. 2010;3(6):394-402.
42. Johnson AE, Yin M, Berg G. Utilization and financial outcomes of an asthma disease management program delivered to Medicaid members: results of a three-group comparison study. Dis Manag Health Outcomes. 2003;11(7):455-465.
43. Kattan M, Stearns SC, Crain EF, Stout JW, Gergen PJ, Evans R 3rd, Visness CM, Gruchalla RS, Morgan WJ, O'Connor GT, Mastin JP, Mitchell HE. Cost-effectiveness of a home-based environmental intervention for inner-city children with asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005;116(5):1058-1063.
44. Lucas DO, Zimmer LO, Paul JE, Jones D, Slatko G, Liao W, Lashley J. Two-year results from the asthma self-management program: long-term impact on health care services, costs, functional status, and productivity. J Asthma. 2001;38(4):321-330.
45. McLean W, Gillis J, Waller R. The BC Community Pharmacy Asthma Study: A study of clinical, economic and holistic outcomes influenced by an asthma care protocol provided by specially trained community pharmacists in British Columbia. Can Respir J. 2003;10(4):195-202.
46. Polisena J, Tam S, Lodha A, Laporte A, Coyte PC, Ungar WJ. An economic evaluation of asthma action plans for children with asthma. J Asthma. 2007;44(7):501-508.
47. Rhee H, Pesis-Katz I, Xing J. Cost benefits of a peer-led asthma self-management program for adolescents. J Asthma. 2012;49(6):606-613. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2012.694540
48. Shelledy DC, Legrand TS, Gardner DD, Peters JI. A randomized, controlled study to evaluate the role of an in-home asthma disease management program provided by respiratory therapists in improving outcomes and reducing the cost of care. J Asthma. 2009;46(2):194-201. doi: 10.1080/02770900802610068
49. Shelledy DC, McCormick SR, LeGrand TS, Cardenas J, Peters JI. The effect of a pediatric asthma management program provided by respiratory therapists on patient outcomes and cost. Heart Lung. 2005;34(6):423-428.
50. Suh DC, Shin SK, Voytovich RM, Zimmerman A. Economic impact of an asthma education programme on medical care utilisation. Dis Manag Health Outcomes. 2000;8(3):159-170.
51. Sullivan SD, Lee TA, Blough DK, Finkelstein JA, Lozano P, Inui TS, Fuhlbrigge AL, Carey VJ, Wagner E, Weiss KB. A multisite randomized trial of the effects of physician education and organizational change in chronic asthma care: cost-effectiveness analysis of the Pediatric Asthma Care Patient Outcomes Research Team II (PAC-PORT II). Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005;159(5):428-434.
52. Tinkelman D, Wilson S. Asthma disease management: regression to the mean or better? Am J Manag Care. 2004;10(12):948-954.
53. Wood MR, Bolyard D. Making education count: the nurse's role in asthma education using a medical home model of care. J Pediatr Nurs. 2011;26(6):552-558. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2010.06.009
54. Woods ER1, Bhaumik U, Sommer SJ, Ziniel SI, Kessler AJ, Chan E, Wilkinson RB, Sesma MN, Burack AB, Klements EM, Queenin LM, Dickerson DU, Nethersole S. Community asthma initiative: evaluation of a quality improvement program for comprehensive asthma care. Pediatrics. 2012;129(3):465-472. doi: 10.1542/peds.2010-3472
55. Franco R, Santos AC, do Nascimento HF, Souza-Machado C, Ponte E, Souza-Machado A, Loureiro S, Barreto ML, Rodrigues LC, Cruz AA. Cost-effectiveness analysis of a state funded programme for control of severe asthma. BMC Public Health. 2007;7:82.
56. Gallefoss F, Bakke PS. Cost-effectiveness of self-management in asthmatics: a 1-yr follow-up randomized, controlled trial. Eur Respir J. 2001;17(2):206-213.
57. Kamps AW, Roorda RJ, Kimpen JL, Overgoor-van de Groes AW, van Helsdingen-Peek LC, Brand PL. Impact of nurse-led outpatient management of children with asthma on healthcare resource utilisation and costs. Eur Respir J. 2004;23(2):304-309.
58. Kauppinen R, Sintonen H, Tukiainen H. One-year economic evaluation of intensive vs conventional patient education and supervision for self-management of new asthmatic patients. Respir Med. 1998;92(2):300-307.
59. Kauppinen R, Sintonen H, Vilkka V, Tukiainen H. Long-term (3-year) economic evaluation of intensive patient education for self-management during the first year in new asthmatics. Respir Med. 1999;93(4):283-289.
60. Kauppinen R, Vilkka V, Sintonen H, Klaukka T, Tukiainen H. Long-term economic evaluation of intensive patient education during the first treatment year in newly diagnosed adult asthma. Respir Med. 2001;95(1):56-63.
61. Lindberg M, Ahlner J, Ekström T, Jonsson D, Möller M. Asthma nurse practice improves outcomes and reduces costs in primary health care. Scand J Caring Sci. 2002;16(1):73-78.
62. Neri M, Migliori GB, Spanevello A, Berra D, Nicolin E, Landoni CV, Ballardini L, Sommaruga M, Zanon P. Economic analysis of two structured treatment and teaching programs on asthma. Allergy. 1996;51(5):313-319.
63. Runge C, Lecheler J, Horn M, Tews JT, Schaefer M. Outcomes of a Web-based patient education program for asthmatic children and adolescents. Chest. 2006;129(3):581-593.
64. Schermer TR, Thoonen BP, van den Boom G, Akkermans RP, Grol RP, Folgering HT, van Weel C, van Schayck CP. Randomized controlled economic evaluation of asthma self-management in primary health care. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166(8):1062-1072.
65. Steuten L, Palmer S, Vrijhoef B, van Merode F, Spreeuwenberg C, Severens H. Cost-utility of a disease management program for patients with asthma. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2007;23(2):184-191.
66. Tschopp JM, Frey JG, Janssens JP, Burrus C, Garrone S, Pernet R, Imhof K, Besse F, Marty S, Rosset C, Assal JP. Asthma outpatient education by multiple implementation strategy. Outcome of a programme using a personal notebook. Respir Med. 2005;99(3):355-362.
67. Tschopp JM, Frey JG, Pernet R, Burrus C, Jordan B, Morin A, Garrone S, Imhof K, Besse F, Marty S, Uldry C, Assal JP. Bronchial asthma and self-management education: Implementation of Guidelines by an interdisciplinary programme in a health network. Swiss Med Wkly. 2002;132(7-8):92-97.
68. Chan AL, Wang HY. Pharmacoeconomic assessment of clinical pharmacist interventions for patients with moderate to severe asthma in outpatient clinics: Experience in Taiwan. Clin Drug Investig. 2004;24(10):603-609.
69. Ghosh CS, Ravindran P, Joshi M, Stearns SC. Reductions in hospital use from self management training for chronic asthmatics. Soc Sci Med. 1998;46(8):1087-1093.
70. Ng DK, Chow PY, Lai WP, Chan KC, And BL, So HY. Effect of a structured asthma education program on hospitalized asthmatic children: a randomized controlled study. Pediatr Int. 2006;48(2):158-162.
71. Tagaya E, Tamaoki J, Nagai A, Murasugi H, Igi H. The role of a self-management program in the control of mild to moderate asthma: A randomized controlled study. Allergol Int. 2005;54(4):527-531.
72. Watanabe T, Ohta M, Murata M, Yamamoto T. Decrease in emergency room or urgent care visits due to management of bronchial asthma inpatients and outpatients with pharmaceutical services. J Clin Pharm Ther. 1998;23(4):303-309.
73. Donald KJ, McBurney H, Teichtahl H, Irving L, Browning C, Rubinfeld A, Wicking J, Casanelia S. Telephone based asthma management - Financial and individual benefits. Aust Fam Physician. 2008;37(4):272-275.
74. Drummond N, Abdalla M, Buckingham JK, Beattie JAG, Lindsay T, Osman LM, Ross SJ, Roy-Chaudhury A, Russell I, Turner M, Douglas JG, Legge JS, Friend JAR. Integrated care for asthma: A clinical, social, and economic evaluation. BMJ. 1994;308(6928):559-564. doi: 10.1136/bmj.308.6928.559
75. Gordois A, Armour C, Brillant M, Bosnic-Anticevich S, Burton D, Emmerton L, Krass I, Saini B, Smith L, Stewart K. Cost-effectiveness analysis of a pharmacy asthma care program in Australia. Dis Manage Health Outcomes. 2007;15(6):387-396.
76. Xu C, Jackson M, Scuffham PA, Wootton R, Simpson P, Whitty J, Wolfe R, Wainwright CE. A randomized controlled trial of an interactive voice response telephone system and specialist nurse support for childhood asthma management. J Asthma. 2010;47(7):768-773. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2010.493966
77. Welsh EJ, Hasan M, Li P. Home-based educational interventions for children with asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;(10):CD008469. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD008469.pub2
78. Almqvist C, Worm M, Leynaert B; working group of GA2LEN WP 2.5 Gender. Impact of gender on asthma in childhood and adolescence: a GA2LEN review. Allergy. 2008;63(1):47-57.
79. Guevara JP, Wolf FM, Grum CM, Clark NM. Effects of educational interventions for self management of asthma in children and adolescents: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. 2003;326(7402):1308-1309.
80. Willems DC, Joore MA, Hendriks JJ, Wouters EF, Severens JL. Cost-effectiveness of self-management in asthma: a systematic review of peak flow monitoring interventions. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2006;22(4):436-442.
81. Government of Malaysia. Implementation guide of Application Rules on Medical Facilities Expenditures. Circular No. 21 2009.
82. The Asthma Foundation. Peak Flow Monitoring. New Zealand: Asthma and Respiratory Foundation of New Zealand (Inc.); 2010. Available from: http://asthmafoundation.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/PeakFlowMonitoring.pdf (accesed 17-01-2014).
83. American Association for Respiratory Care. Coding guidelines for certain respiratory care services. American Association for Respiratory Care; 2013 [17.1.2014]; Available from: http://www.aarc.org/resources/coding/CodingGuidelines_AARC_Nov2013_rev121013 (accesed 17-01-2014).
84. Pickard AS, Wilke C, Jung E, Patel S, Stavem K, Lee TA. Use of a preference-based measure of health (EQ-5D) in COPD and asthma. Respir Med. 2008;102(4):519-536. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2007.11.016
85. Szende A, Svensson K, Ståhl E, Mészáros A, Berta GY. Psychometric and utility-based measures of health status of asthmatic patients with different disease control level. Pharmacoeconomics. 2004;22(8):537-547.
86. World Development Indicators. Internet users (per 100 people). The World Bank Group 2014; Available from: http://data.worldbank.org (accesed 17-01-2014).
87. Crocker DD, Kinyota S, Dumitru GG, Ligon CB, Herman EJ, Ferdinands JM, Hopkins DP, Lawrence BM, Sipe TA; Task Force on Community Preventive Services. Effectiveness of home-based, multi-trigger, multicomponent interventions with an environmental focus for reducing asthma morbidity: a community guide systematic review. Am J Prev Med. 2011;41(2 Suppl 1):S5-S32. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2011.05.012
88. Drummond M, Sculpher M. Common methodological flaws in economic evaluations. Med Care. 2005;43(7 Suppl):5-14.